Monday, April 27, 2009

Atheist Anthem

Interesting article in the NY Times about atheists forming organizations to replace the social component to traditional church membership, even in places you would not expect it, like South Carolina. Quotes one person saying it's time for atheists to "come out of the closet." After seeing Religulous recently, I kinda like that sentiment. I feel like when you don't bring it up, it's almost like tacit consent, like if someone makes a racist joke and if you don't challenge them they think they you must agree. So I should really try harder to make it obvious I stand apart from the herd.

My favorite quote from the article:
"polls continue to show that atheists are ranked lower than any other minority or
religious group when Americans are asked whether they would vote for or approve
of their child marrying a member of that group"

Interesting.

No comments: